Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fool me once.

There was a time when I thought that con-men only existed in old movies.

Then a few years ago I was conned.


There I was, walking along in the springfield mall (don't worry, the grifters have moved on) When some kid, slightly older than I, and quite adorable came up to me with a clipboard and started talking. He talked alot, threw in a number of compliments to my looks and character. He told me that he was participating in a DJ contest and that in order to win he needed to get votes. How could one vote for him? by signing up for these "totally legitimate" magazine subscriptions, of course! He was very charming and there were a number of competitors in the mall at the time, so i believed him, of course. He told me all about how the company he was working for was backed by the better business bureau and how if he won he'd get to be a dj on some show or another. The paper i filled out seemed very official.

It was, of course, a lie.

In reality, some twenty-two year old fast talker made thirty bucks and a very naive nineteen year old learned a valuable lesson.

A few weeks later i told someone the story and they informed me that i was never getting said magazine. They were correct. I'm pretty sure this once happened to my mom as well, since she told me a very similar story and that magazine also somehow never made it to my door.

So today when two good-looking, friendly, and very talkative girls knocked on my door, I was a bit more guarded about the whole thing. They gave me, almost word for word, the same spiel i heard two years prior at my hometown mall. When I told them I had been scammed before, they told me they were backed by the better business bureau. I didn't tell them that Mr. DJ had said those exact words as well. After dragging it out for a few minutes I politely declined their offer.

Then I called the cops. They were gone already, but at least this time without my money.

Magazine scams, perpetrated most famously by the Universal Subscription Agency, are a very lucrative business. But not for those kids who knock on your door. Those kids are trained to remain almost eerily up-beat at all times, and to talk their way out of any situation. They are brainwashed into not asking where the money they make is going or whether the customers get what they pay for. They work 10 or more hours a day and are often given less than $15 in food money. Many are runaways. All are lured in with the promise of money and the ability to travel. But somehow, most likely because of the fines that managers place upon them, these kids never actually get their money.

So I guess the point of this post is that con-men still exist. And don't ever buy things from door to door salesmen. It is really easy to photoshop official looking documents if you are only showing them to people who don't know what to look for in official documents. And anyone can say that their company is legit.


Or, in the words of mad-eye moody:
Constant Vigilance!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good message. Now I know. And knowing is half the battle.

Anonymous said...

my cousins live side by side, bro and sis. the sis gave the guy a drink, money for a subscription, and life advice. the bro, who is a cop, kicked the guy off of his property and had him arrested. it's funny how different people react to situations!
\\erin